- M. Lee, F. Bahmani, I. Kwan, J. Laferte, P. Charters, A. Horvath, F. Luor, J. Cao, C. Law, M. Bethwetherick, S. Long, M. Burnett, and A. Ko. Principles of a Debugging-First Puzzle Game for Computing Education, IEEE Conference on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), Melbourne, Australia, 2014, to appear.
- M. Lee, A. Ko, and I. Kwan. In-Game Assessments Increase Novice Programmers’ Engagement and Learning Efficiency, Ninth International Computing Education Research Workshop (ICER), San Diego, USA, 2013
- J. Cao, I. Kwan, F. Bahmani, M. Burnett, J. Jordahl, A. Horvath, S. Fleming and S. Yang. End-User Programmers in Trouble: Can the Idea Garden Help Them to Help Themselves? IEEE Conference on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), San Jose, USA, 2013
- T. Kulesza, S. Stumpf, M. Burnett, S. Yang, I. Kwan and W.-K. Wong. Too Much, Too Little, or Just Right? Ways Explanations Impact End Users’ Mental Models, IEEE Conference on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), San Jose, USA, 2013
- D. Damian, R. Helms, I. Kwan, S. Marczak, B. Koelewijn. The Role of Domain Knowledge and Hierarchical Control Structures in Socio-Technical Coordination, IEEE International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), San Francisco, USA, 2013
- D. Piorkowski, S. D. Fleming, I. Kwan, M. Burnett, C. Scaffidi, R. Bellamy, J. Jordhal. The Whats and Hows of Programmers’ Foraging Diets, ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (CHI), Paris, France, 2013
S. D. Fleming
, C. Scaffidi
, D. Piorkowski
, M. Burnett
, R. Bellamy
, J. Lawrance
, I. Kwan
, An Information Foraging Theory Perspective on Tools for Debugging, Refactoring, and Reuse Tasks
. ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology (TOSEM), 2013
- J. Cao, I. Kwan, R. White, S. D. Fleming, M. Burnett, and C. Scaffidi, From Barriers to Learning in the Idea Garden: An Empirical Study, IEEE Conference on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing (VL/HCC), Innsbruck, Austria, 2012
- T. Kulesza, S. Stumpf, M. Burnett, and I. Kwan, “Tell Me More? The Effects of Mental Model Soundness on Personalizing an Intelligent Agent,” in ACM Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Austin, USA, 2012. Honorable Mention
- I. Kwan, M. Cataldo, and D. Damian, “Conway’s Law Revisited: The Evidence for a Task-Based Perspective,” IEEE Software, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 90-93, Feb. 2012.
- V. Grigoreanu, M. Burnett, S. Wiedenbeck, J. Cao, K. Rector, and I. Kwan, “End-User Debugging Strategies: A Sensemaking Perspective,” ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, Vol. 19:1, March 2012.
- A. Schröter, J. Aranda, D. Damian, I. Kwan. To talk or not to talk: factors that influence communication around changesets, CSCW ’12: Proceedings of the ACM 2012 conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2012
- I. Kwan, A. Schröter, and D. Damian, “Does Socio-Technical Congruence Have an Effect on Software Build Success? A Study of Coordination in a Software Project,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 307-324, Jun. 2011.
- I. Kwan and D. Damian, “Extending Socio-technical Congruence with Awareness Relationships,” in Intl Workshop on Social Software Engineering in conj. ESEC/FSE, Szeged, Hungary, 2011.
- I. Kwan, D. Damian. A Survey of Techniques in Software Repository Mining. Technical Report DCS-340-IR, University of Victoria, 2011.
- I. Kwan and D. Damian, “The hidden experts in software-engineering communication (NIER track),” in Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Software Engineering, New York, NY, USA, 2011, pp. 800–803.
- D. Damian, S. Marczak, and I. Kwan, “Requirements Engineering in Global Teams,” in Global Software and IT, 2011.
- D. Damian, I. Kwan, and S. Marczak, “Requirements-Driven Collaboration: Leveraging the Invisible Relationships between Requirements and People,” in Collaborative Software Engineering, I. Mistrík, J. Grundy, A. Hoek, and J. Whitehead, Eds. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2010, pp. 57-76.
- S. Marczak, I. Kwan, and D. Damian, “Investigating Collaboration Driven by Requirements in Cross-Functional Software Teams,” in 2009 Collaboration and Intercultural Issues on Requirements: Communication, Understanding and Softskills, 2009, pp. 15-22.
- I. Kwan, A. Schröter, and D. Damian, “A Weighted Congruence Measure,” in Workshop on Socio-technical Congruence in conj. Intl Conf on Software Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, 2009.
- I. Kwan, S. Marczak, and D. Damian, “Viewing Project Collaborators Who Work on Interrelated Requirements,” in Requirements Engineering Conference, 2007. RE ’07. 15th IEEE International, 2007, pp. 369-370.
- D. Damian, S. Marczak, and I. Kwan, “Collaboration Patterns and the Impact of Distance on Awareness in Requirements-Centred Social Networks,” in Requirements Engineering Conference, 2007. RE ’07. 15th IEEE International, 2007, pp. 59-68.
- D. Damian, L. Izquierdo, J. Singer, and I. Kwan, “Awareness in the Wild: Why Communication Breakdowns Occur,” in Second IEEE International Conference on Global Software Engineering, 2007. ICGSE 2007, 2007, pp. 81-90.
- L. Panjer, I. Kwan, and D. Damian, “Jazz Team Coordination Tools,” in Jazz Birds of a Feather in conj. OOPSLA, Montreal, Canada, 2007.
- I. Kwan, D. Damian, and S. Marczak, “The Effects of Distance, Experience, and Communication Structure on Requirements Awareness in Two Distributed Industrial Software Projects,” in Global Requirements Engineering Workshop in conj. Intl Conf on Global Software Engineering, 2007.
- I. Kwan, D. Damian, and M.-A. Storey, “Visualizing a Requirements-centred Social Network to Maintain Awareness Within Development Teams,” in First International Workshop on Requirements Engineering Visualization, 2006. REV ’06, 2006
Partial Publications List on Publisher Pages
Irwin Kwan – Google Scholar
Irwin Kwan – ACM author profile page